Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Day Late


W TO NW WIND 10 KT...BACKING TO SW IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 1 FT. W SWELL 7 FT AT 11 SECONDS.
TONIGHT SW WIND 10 TO 15 KT.
WIND WAVES 2 FT.
W SWELL 5 TO 6 FT AT 11 SECONDS.

Surf looked pretty dismal this morning. A solid south wind was churning things up and things just were not lining up. Drove south, heked a 1/2 dozen spots that confirmed my fears. Headed back north, decided to check spot I hadn't on the way down. To my surprise, on a pretty low tide, things seemed to be working. Outside sets were reforming on the inside sandbar and sending a few lefts reeling down the beach. Suited up and got out there in time to pick off about 5 waves, before the tide filled in. Saw another peak down the beach and further out that seemed to be working, so I paddled down for a look. Error! After getting bounced hard 3 times I called it a morning.

Yesterday, I checked a few spots to the north. Again, things were looking pretty weak. There were a few peaks that looked promising but rocky, so I opted to return to the house. Sunny and warm in March on the Oregon Coast. Sitting on the beach with the kids, I watched as a beachbreack left came alive. I thought it wouldn't last, but after 15 minutes of mind surfing. I decided to give it a go. It was great, easy take off on a mushy peak that just bowled and got bigger as it reeled left aross the sandbar dissapating into a channel about 25 yards down the line. Followed by a semi-leisurely paddle back out. The only thing lacking was my stamina, after being out of the water since February with a foot injury I was sucking wind. Still caught about 8 waves, 3 of which were really fun.

Hope it turns back on today at high tide!

Oh yeah, it's Spring Break...

0 comments: