Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A Fine Mess


S WIND 15 TO 20 KT WITH LOCAL GUSTS TO 25 KT.
WIND WAVES 4 FT.
W SWELL 5 FT AT 14 SECONDS.
TONIGHT S WIND 15 KT.
WIND WAVES 2 FT.
W SWELL 5 FT AT 13 SECONDS.

The above shot is the closest approximation I could find to yesterday's location and conditions...

Checked a few spots as I made my way north. It was windy and out of the south which pretty much blew everything to crap. Checked a couple spots protected by headlands, one looked promising but very rocky, sketchy and solo for sure. I might have surfed it 10 years ago by myself, but now I am older and wiser...and fatter! Still, watched it for about 20 minutes, hoping for someone to show up to prod into paddling out with...yeah, right...Oregon coast, off the highway, not a commonly surfed break...I probably could have waited 20 hours before someone came by to surf it with.

Settled for the south end of a well-known protected cove. The rip was working and there were occassional rights that deposited you where you wanted to be. Caught lots of big, fat, soft waves in the couple hours I was out. South winds look to be blowing for a bit, which is not good...

2 comments:

Patch said...

Image=Swallowed up by a raging mouth of water.

Slim said...

Did you have a look up north before you paddled out at said cove? I had it alright at another cove.