Thursday, December 14, 2006

Siderain


SE WIND 15 TO 20 KT.
RISING DURING THE LATE MORNING AND AFTERNOON TO S 45 TO 55 KT.
COMBINED SEAS 20 TO 25 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 14 SECONDS.
TONIGHT S WIND 45 KT GUSTING TO 60 KT...VEERING TO SW AFTER MIDNIGHT.
COMBINED SEAS 36 TO 41 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 12 SECONDS.

RAIN.

When it is raining...
And the wind is 60 knots plus...
Is it still just RAIN?

This shot is of a coastal village north of Cascade Head from a few years back. The entire spit is lined with rip rap now.

I remember a heavy storm there that ate away about 75 feet of sand in one night. I was talking once to an older retired friend who lives there about the heavy surf that was literally shaking the windows of the house we were sitting in as 25 foot swells detonated on the bar.

I said, "I heard the surf's supposed to build to 30 feet tonight." She answered, "You know, when I moved here 30 years ago...the sound of the surf would lull me to sleep. Now it just keeps me up at night."

They rip rapped in front of her property once it was down to about 50 feet all along the waterfront. There are still portions that aren't protected and it should be a sleepless night for those folks.

0 comments: