Saturday, February 10, 2007

Monoliths

SE WIND 20 KT.
WIND WAVES 4 FT.
W SWELL 10 FT AT 15 SECONDS.
The Central coast was looking a bit raw yesterday. I checked a handful of spots that just weren't looking to promising and was pretty much consigning myself to another day of driving around with my surfboard solidly lodged inside my car.
Chatted a bit with a friend who was watching the hopelessness from his truck. His level of confidence of conditions cleaning up were illustrated by the lack of board in his vehicle. Decided to bag it and try to hook up with some friends fishing on the Wilson River. A call that went to voice mail convinced me they were still on it, so I swung into Tillamook and headed east to see if I could spot their cars off the highway. I tried another call and they picked up...unfortunately they were done so I made a U-turn and ran north along the coast.
I checked the spot pictured above and contemplated the grinding little chest high right below but the sketchiness of surfing this spot in February got the better of me. Probably a better bodyboard wave considering the shallowness and bitter end of this wave.

Heading up coast I checked another rarely surfed open beach break that was usually blown to smithereens and found these head high rights reforming and breaking on an inside sandbar. Sometimes good things come to those who look...only good for about an hour, but better than the whole lotta nothing I had resigned myself too.



0 comments: