Monday, June 11, 2007

Alaia


W WIND 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING NW 10 TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 11 TO 13 FT AT 13 SECONDS...SUBSIDING TO 11 FT AT 13 SECONDS IN THE AFTERNOON...DROPPING TO W SWELL 9 TO 10 FT AT 11 SECONDS.
I e-mailed Mick from Safe to Sea about posting this shot from the Musica Surfica event he's been involved with during the last month or two...when I saw this shot, it reminded me of a combo of Hot Curl surfing and the "Bully Style" of surfing of the great Eddie Aikau...and the fact that the surfer was riding about as deeply retro a board as possible just got me stoked and I had to ask his permission to share it with those unfortunate enough not to know about his blog.
Regarding the shot..it is from the documentary of the Musica Surfica event held on King Island, (off Tasmania) which was organized by Derek Hynd and Richard Tognetti of the Australian Chamber Orchestra. From Mr. Tognetti's blog he describes the event as:

In a very pistacchio sized nutshell, Musica Surfica comes out of my friend Derek Hynd dreaming with me about exploring the intersection of perceived high-brow: classical music, and grass roots: surf culture. It is involving the highly experimental surf craft of finless boards; some designs dating back 1000 years, whilst others are emerging frontiers; combined with an exploration of our music, some extant and other music being especially written. We are placing all of this in stunningly different contexts (schools, King Island, East coast Oz, steps of Sydney Opera House? etc); hoping for an explosive and provocative mix of cultures.


The surfer is Sage Joske. The board a parabolic railed paulownia alaia (the source of an entirely new thread or ten!) shaped by Tom Wegener. Mick of Safe to Sea is directing the documentary and about to start editing. The shot itself is a still from the SuperHD video shot by Director of Photography Tony Brennan. And I had to make a new graphic button for Mick's blog!

1 comments:

Chum said...

Mick's blog is everything I love about this whole surf blogging thing - I'd never get to meet a guy like him without this interweb phenomenon. Now I can feel like I have one degree of separation from DH too. Nice graphic. Looks just about the right size for a banner at the top of his blog...