Friday, June 08, 2007

Back

NW WIND 10 TO 15 KT...CHANGING TO W IN THE EVENING. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 4 FT AT 10 SECONDS. BUILDING TO W SWELL 5 FT AT 10 SECONDS.

So...gone all week...even got a couple unexpected solo surfs in...only to reenter surfilization and discover that JP of Surfy Surfy has listed Surf In Oregon, Sissyfish and a host of other other blog sites in the TSJ...pretty cool...although I was surprised by the lack of inclusion of niceness...which in my opinion is still the best of the bunch...and which, incidentally, was the inspiration for starting SIO...in any case, it'll be interesting to see the result of such public exposure...the anon comment line could really heat up...

Local Reports (for the past week):
On Tuesday I escaped to check the south side of a prominent central coast headland...the waves looked pretty fun and small enough to paddle up the gut towards a left that was working rather than ride the rip out and surf mushy rights. I only had a couple hour window so got in and picked off a handful of bigger than expected waves...the tide was pretty low and as I got out talked with a razor clammer who had just limited out who also surfed and discussed some recent Orca sightings, GW and whale episodes and general surf stuff...

On Wednesday, I reconned south to Yachats but a stiff SW wind resulted in finding shelter in the back of my wagon with cold beer and a fertile imagination of mindsurfing the rocky central coast shore where head high wave were imploding on shallow rock reefs. Later, headed out onto a south jetty where I was pelted by sideways rain that ended suddenly and gave way to sun, calm and a fun chest high left that started working beautifully and made me wish I had brought my board. A fisherman walking in off the jetty held his catch as he made his way back to his truck...a 20 pound Ling Cod...at about $8 a pound, what's that? At a least a $100 fish.

On Thursday, wrapped up the campsite, loaded up gear and drove north out of the wind and rain towards the sun and calm winds...found the sun, but not the calm...hard onshores blew the waves pretty flat but suited up anyhow to get wet and assess the level of poorness...it was a pretty low level...but caught a few little mushballs and drank a few beers with friends and ran into the razor clammer again...this time he was catching waves...well, they were the same sloppy bumps I had ridden earlier and he reached his limit as quikly as I had...about an hour.

~doc

0 comments: