Monday, July 30, 2007

Surfing, Blogging

N WIND 20 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 5 FT. W SWELL 5 FT AT 9 SECONDS.


So I'm back...
A week out of the water...
Well, out of the saltwater anyway...
Headed south to Ashland with the family...
Caught a couple William Shakespeare plays...
Coincendentally, one of his first plays, Romeo & Juliet...
And his last, which, while less famous was better, The Tempest...
I looked, I swear I looked and listened...but there was no surfing in R&J...

The Tempest had the better lines by far...here's a sampling:

Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
...and...
Come unto these yellow sands,
And then take hands:
Courtsied when you have, and kiss'd
The wild waves whist.
...and...
Now would I give a thousand furlongs of sea for an acre of barren ground.
...and...
Our revels now are ended.
These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind.
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
It pretty much kicked ass...
Oh yeah, I surfed today...
It was nothing too memorable...
But it was offshore...
First from the north, as expected...
But then from the south...
A good day all in all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

heya...I dig your blog...was just curious...how did you get that photo of me for today's post? It's an honor...best from SF

Chum said...

That's my hometown! I worked at the festival through my teen years as an usher... you gonna start writing in iambic pentameter now?