Sunday, November 11, 2007

Windswept


S WIND 20 TO 25 KT...RISING TO 30 TO 35 KT WITH GUSTS TO 45 KT. COMBINED SEAS 13 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 11 SECONDS...BUILDING TO 17 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 12 SECONDS.
I've surfed here...
Always by myself...
And only because I was already there...
Never caught it good...
Don't know if it gets good...
My best story from camping above this beach...
This cape is very, very windy...
We pulled in and picked a campsite...
We chose one in the sun...
Surrounded by a hedge...
As I struggled to pitch the tent...
My wife asked if she could help...
"Yeah...let me pitch the tent..."
Was my grumpy reply...
Once I got the poles in...
The wind was howling...
And I asked my 7 year old son...
To stand in the tent while I got the stakes...
5 steps away I heard "Dad!"...
And saw the tent roll across the site...
While my son stood where the tent had been...
"I told you to stand in the tent!" I scolded...
"I was" he explained in honesty...
I believed him, it was that windy...
Once I got the tent staked in place...
I watched with concern...
As it bent nearly to the ground...
And the seams strained under the pressure...
I was having my doubts...
My wife walked up and said...
"It isn't windy on the othe side of the hill"...
What?! I walked over to see for myself...
Sure enough the wind on the other side...
In the shady forested side was calm as could bee...
We packed up and moved everything there...
And then I went surfing...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It gets good. rarely, but it does.