Thursday, December 06, 2007

Cup of Filth


NE WIND 10 TO 15 KT...EXCEPT S 10 TO 15 SOUTH OF CASCADE HEAD IN THE EVENING. WIND WAVES 2 FT...BUILDING TO 4 FT. W SWELL 7 FT AT 11 SECONDS.
Headed out to the coast today...
Didn't even bring my boards...
Didn't want the temptation...
I guess to be truly honest...
I didn't bring my wetsuit...
Because I could always borrow a board...
And hell, if the surf was that good...
I could just go buy a new wetsuit...
Lords knows I need one...
Might as well get a board too...
Anyhow, passed all the power trucks heading inland...
Saw them trying to clear the Salmon River Bridge at 101...
Checked on some friend's houses for them...
Beach eroded but no serious or immediate damage or threat...
Marveled at the loss of beach in Brohampton...
And wondered about phase next of the evil condos...
With their sea grass anchored berm sagging into the sea...
Likely an armada of dumptrucks, tractors & workers...
Battling the edge of the Pacific in an unwinnable war...
Sounds kinda sickeningly familiar...
Chatted with Gaz as we watched a few foolhardy people in the water...
One stuck in the rip...
One stuck further out in the rip...
And one on the inside...
Stuck in the rip...
And getting sucked sideways at speed...
All three likely were licking their lips...
Trying to clear their faces of toxins...
From whatever horiffic blend of contaminants was in the sea...
Cow shit, people shit, fossil fuels, and who knows what...
I left my surfboard and wetsuit at home...
Because these condition just ain't my cup of filth...
Although, as I tapped Gaz and pointed, saying...
"Check out that peak"...
As a bumpy ocean yielded a servicable head high peak...
Gaz stated what I thought to myself...
"If it cleans up I might have to go out"
Or something along those lines...
Which is why...
I left my surfboard and wetsuit at home...
Not wanting to be tempted by...
Sheltered coves...
Spokes on the leesides of capes...
Or inlets within bays...
Which would require checking...
Had I done so.

3 comments:

Gaz said...

I had no intention of surfing in that brown and nasty mess, I was just saying that because you didn't have a board, I'm mean like that.

Now it's dumping more rain and the cottage's are losing more of their front yard as we speak...

Wave Farmer said...

Well...

At least you were nice to my face...

Thanks for that.

pushingtide said...

What willpower it must have took to drive to a coast without board or suit. I don't think i could do it.