Sunday, February 10, 2008

Smackdown


W WIND 15 KT WITH GUSTS TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT. W SWELL 8 FT AT 15 SECONDS.

Checked a bouldery spot yesterday at about 1pm...
The waves were starting to show off a point in the distance...
But there were no takers, since it was still a little messy...
As I sat eating my lunch I saw a guy suiting up...
I wondered if he was gonna make the hike or flounder in the cove...
As he strapped on his bright red PFD I reasoned it'd be the latter...
And I wasn't disappointed as he headed to the kiddie pool section...
Watching him wade out, he was absolutely smacked down by surging shorebreak...
Over and over again, the waves were rebounding & refracting off the stony beach...
Causing warbles and zippering waves between the incoming & outgoing waves...
He never made it beyond waist to chest depth so the PDF was a bit pointless...
Although had he gotten sucked into the riverlike current into the impact zone...
It may have served him well...
I think I may have seen this guy out with his buddy in June.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, was thinking of making the drive as I thought there might be..... But now I'm gald I didnt bec I dont have a PFD. Getting grumpy, think its time to book a ticket.

Anonymous said...

I saw him too. Took the walk and definitely say some ripables if you had the stones....

Anonymous said...

I saw him too. Took the walk and definitely say some ripables if you had the stones....

Beach Bum said...

Tracked back to your earlier pics of the PFD clad blokes .. I have never seen anything quite like that here ... mind if I use that pic of those two sometime???

Gazelle said...

Now that's some fine, free lunch time entertainment.

Sean said...

I miss Oregon....although I don't think the surf as sexy as the woman in black kicking your arse in a previous post!

Can finger put me up in Astoria? I want to move back.

I posted on my blog, maybe I'll do another, who knows. Take care Doc.

I feel like I need to get rid of my fish name.......

Wave Farmer said...

How about Icthy?

Doc

Anonymous said...

You seem a bit pretentious to me. Like you are better than the people that surf those lesser spots.

I have noticed this in other posts as well.