Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Quivering


S WIND 5 KT...VEERING TO NW 5 TO 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1 FOOT. SW SWELL 4 FT AT 15 SECONDS.
The gratuitous quiver shot...
Took it on Sunday...
Utilized roasting hot sun...
To remove blackened, filthy wax...
And check for repair needs...
Got my work cut out for me.
From the left...
6'1" Lightning Bolt...Tom Eberly tri-fin...hard to believe I ever rode a board this short. Looking at the fins, an old repair brought back memories of surfing it at DOH Huntington Cliffs and fearing for my life...I survived, but the board lost a sidebite that day.
6'10" POS...this thruster was semi-destroyed on the cobbles at a famed north coast left hand point in the early 90's following a leash failure on a good sized day...now a single fin...thinking about converting it to a quad just to see.
6'8" Third World Exotic...Larry Mabile quad twinzer...my newest board and one that has given me fits along with a few good moments.
6'9" Seven...Bryan Bates tri-fin fish...hasn't seen alot of water time...always seem to go with a different board.
7'2" Legend Point...Darrell "Rooster" Dell thruster...love to surf it in bigger, clean surf but when it's bigger it usually isn't clean...pretty thin board and a tough paddler for me.
8'3" Smitty...TK Smith...Leucadia underground shaper who used to do production work for Japan...don't know where he is these days.
9'6" Iron Cross...Dennis Murphy tri-fin...my go to board for many years...surfed it in small to overhead surf...started to have lots of issues with delams & loose fins...now a "Frankenboard" being babied along...the thing flexes like crazy now and every wipeout is folled by surfacing expecting to find 2 pieces of board.
9'6" Hynson & Company...Mike Hynson Endless Summer II Model Single...classic Hynson downrailer...the thing screams down the line...only a little slower than...
10'6" Skip Frye...Skip Frye Eagle singlefin with sidebites...I rarely put the bites in and surf it with a 9.5 Frye flex fin...a section connector.
And not pictured (in for repair) a 60's 9'6" O'Neill Stepdeck...I'm having it reglassed so it's watertight for crowd busting at crowded summer spots..."LOOK OUT...I CAN'T TURN IT!"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what you're sayin' is you're into the local brews but not the boards? Ha.

Anonymous said...

a Nemo board?

Wave Farmer said...

2 Oregon shapes...
5 purchased in Oregon surf shop shapes...
4 family/friends associated shapes...aka "the bro deal".
I typically drink Bud btw...sad
Nemo - Clown Fish...yep

Foul Pete said...

My daughter would love the Nemo board.

It is simply unfair trying to share a peak with you while you're on that 10'6" beaut...

Anonymous said...

you can take the man out of Cali but you can't take the Cali out of the man

Anonymous said...

Oh those ol' stonestep/swami days!

Anonymous said...

that fish looks like a lot of fun. you should loan it to me indifenitely. I can give references, it's been working out well for Tippy to provide me with boards for quite some time now...

I've got a soft-topper I can leave with you as collateral.

Wave Farmer said...

I'd consider loaning you the Clown Fish...

It's bullet proof...

Not Yachats rocks no leash bullet proof...

But call me next time you're in town...

Buy me a few beers and you might have another board...

Although you have to drive it back whenever I get the itch to do a quiver lineup shot...

Anonymous said...

Tk is doing high quality custom cabinetry and other fine fabrication these days . You can see at tksmith.net . I have a 9'6" Smitty for sale if u know of someone looking. Lancewithpants@sbcglobal.net