Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Saltwater Buddha


N WIND 20 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 5 FT. NW SWELL 7 FT AT 8 SECONDS.
Jaimal Yogis contacted me a few months ago about reviewing his book...
I was somewhat remiss in actually reading his book...
Jaimal contacted me again a couple weeks ago...
This time about mentioning his upcoming Oregon readings...
I was somewhat remiss in actually mentioning his readings...
But now I am no longer remiss...
Jaimal is in Portland promoting his first novel...
Saltwater Buddha on:
Thursday, July 02 at 7:30pm...
At Powell’s Books on Hawthorne
On SE Hawthorne Blvd. (near 37th Street)
I did finally read Saltwater Buddha and I enjoyed it...
It was a quick read...
I finished it in 3 days or so...
I had my own ideas about what it would take to be a Buddha Surf Master...
But having no actually grounding in Zen practice...
I always imaginged a Saltwater Buddha...
As a blend between Caine from Kung Fu...
Bodhi from Point Break...
And Gerry Lopez doing yoga on a beach in Indo...
Instead, who knew?
It was Jaimal Yogis...
Straight outta Sacramento!
Here's my review...
The book is eminently readable...
It's a coming of age story...
And deals with the inner struggles...
Of finding one's way...
Usually in the context of surfing...
It has sections we have all encountered as surfers...
And it has passages that are unique...
But the overall message is a positive one...
And it is an excellent addition to the esoterica...
That is surf literature.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check his article in the latest TSJ too. About an amazing bodysurfing woman from SFO.

Anonymous said...

I dug it too

Nash said...

Man that chick in TSJ is pretty cool...and pretty gnarly looking. Sunscreen people!

Doc, have you read his book? How about an honest review if you are going to push it.

turtle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.