Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Breaking News




E WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT. W SWELL 8 FT AT 13 SECONDS.

I went surfing today...
Not that anyone cares...
More importantly, there's this wave...
Well, maybe that's not accurate...
There's this headland...
That waves break on...
And the people that surf the wave...
Are somewhat protective of it...
It's location, access and who rides it...
Not saying it's right or wrong...
It's simply the reality of the situation...
Anyway, a news team showed up...
To "break news" on "surfer aggression"...
At said spot today apparently...
And marched acrosst cobbles...
To record said aggression...
And surprise, surprise...
Their presence and camera...
Prompted nothing less...
I'm sorry...
But creating a situation...
By your mere presence...
Is not a story...
Nor an accurate depiction...
Of the current state of affairs.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

so is there a link to the story and hopefully video of someone getting beat down on the cobbles?

word ver: "berac"

Chum said...

I wasn't there, so I don't know how it went down on the rocks, but I did see it on TV tonight.

It was pretty amusing. A bit TMZ. And not "good news" by any stretch. But the story doesn't bother me. Is it really going to change things?

Doubt it.

Is it going to reinforce the vibe that keeps the lineup relatively uncrowded?

Most likely.

So who really benefits here?

I managed to pull my iphone out and a record half the story off my TV. I'll try to post it to my blog in the next day.

There's piss in your popcorn. News at ll.

Anonymous said...

Is that Portland guy you or Sissyfish?

Doc said...

Not I...but aren't all us Portland guys the same?

Anonymous said...

Point Loma.

Palos Verdes.

Hazards.

Stockton Ave.

Point Arena.

KGW don’t surf.

Anonymous said...

It's all a political ruse to keep your attention off of Oregon's Premier Break... Shortsands. Pretty clever move by the liberal media if you ask me.

Anonymous said...

that local is classic!

"I'm only trying to be part of the force for order"

order? is that like G. Bush's "New World Order"?

"this is my livelihood"

um, do you actually know what the word livelihood means?

small brained people rejoice!

Anonymous said...

I consider those guys heroes. Order must be maintained by means of force.
Not everyone should be able to surf this break. It should be protected from exposure.
If not, it would be clogged by even more californians.
Anybody read the Prince by Machiavelli?
Oh, and channel 8 was making it seem like people couldn't use the beach.
They got it totally wrong.No surprise.

Wave Farmer said...

Heroes?
Deeply flawed ones then.
And certainly not role models.
I don't discount the need for localism, but there are times & places...a news camera in your face is probably not the time or place.
The spot itself regulates pretty effectively.
I think a better response for the local would have been "no comment" and turn away.
Give them no story and they get no story.
But then, I wasn't there...
Not a local...
Just surf it intermittently...
And respectfully...
For over 20 years now.

karmic voyager said...

there are thousands of perfect waves all over the world. life is short... go get them.

leave the dog fighting to the dogs