Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hammerhead

W WIND 15 TO 20 KT...EASING TO 10 TO 15 KT. EARLY MORNING GUSTS TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 5 FT...EASING TO 2 FT. W SWELL 8 FT AT 11 SECONDS.

One of my most prized possessions.
A Hammerhead Shark carved by my Father...I would guess about 50 years ago or so.
He carved several...Threshers, Blues and others.
They've suffered over the years being handled and played with by me and my brother as kids.
Chipped dorsal & pectoral fins, snapped claspers...ouch!
He carved them from some old redwood posts...it was all about found materials with my Dad.
Born just before the Depression and growing up in the 30's he was the a collector of things.
I still find myself picking up an old washer lying on the street and pocketing it.
"Perfectly good washer", I'll say to myself...
Lessons learned.

2 comments:

twin said...

Very cool

Unknown said...

That looks incredible. Can you show a side photo and photos of any other carved sea creatures.
Priceless.