Monday, October 14, 2013

There Are No Old Waves


NE WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 4 FT AT 12 SECONDS.

Summer came to an abrupt end in Oregon this year.
Sunny days and small waves were replaced with sideways rain and massive storm surf.
Within a week I was bitter, dreading the darkness that creeped in earlier and earlier.
I watched my green tomatoes rot on the vine along with my soul.
I don't mind Winter, and I actually look forward to Fall.
But this year the transition was anything but.
The Indian Summer I'd hoped for seemed to be lost.
Then clouds parted, rain stopped blowing sideways.
The ocean laid down enough to accommodate a sunny day of leashless surf ala Summertime.
I sat outside on a 10 foot plus slab single fin contemplating my good fortune.
I felt some of the daily nagging aches and pains and worries wash away.
The sore neck, wonky shoulder, ruined knee.
All the shit that time and use brings us in varying degrees.
They were all there, of course, lurking.
But bursting through sunlit peaks and tasting the Sea on my lips.
Was far, far in the forefront of what was happening.
And I had a thought.
On the day after my 52nd birthday.
Here I am, a little bit older, hopefully a little bit wiser.
But in the Ocean...
There Are No Old Waves.

3 comments:

Fat Bastardo said...

The Compadres are the next big thing in modern surf music CLICK HERE

These guys are from Equador. They have surf guitar master Mark Kuhn from Voodoo Court.

Indrianishvi said...

Awesome! It's amazing your holiday, I'm happy to be able to read your experience. Thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge about holidays and surfing. balisurfinglesson.com

AOTEAROA SURF SCHOOL said...

Informative post. It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.aotearoasurf.co.nz/