Friday, August 04, 2006

Camper


N WIND 20 TO 25 KT...BUT 25 TO 30 KT FROM CASCADE HEAD TO FLORENCE.
WIND WAVES 5 FT.
NW SWELL 6 FT AT 8 SECONDS.
TONIGHT N WIND 20 TO 25 KT...EASING TO 15 TO 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
WIND WAVES 5 FT.
NW SWELL 8 FT AT 8 SECONDS.

Beach camping on the Pacific Northwest coast...

It used to be alot easier...there are still places where you can camp legally in Oregon, but it's a lot more restricted. Although I am sorry to have seen beach camping go the way of history, I can't say I don't understand or agree with the decision.

I used to camp at a few different spots along the north coast, some you could drive into, others required a hike. There were many times that I was appalled by the mess people would leave behind. Hiking in a few days after a big holiday weekend I was greeted with trash and broken bottles on the sand. I picked up what I could, but there was no way to get it all.

It isn't much better at alot of surf spots. I have confronted people when I have seen them breaking glass or littering...a couple times a bit heatedly. But I guess I don't want to be the enforcer of beach cleanliness in Oregon, nor risk getting into a physical scrap with someone over it.

I still have made a few illegal excursions to some remote favorite places, but the risk of a ticket or being rousted and sent packing at 2am tends to put an edge of tension on it.

Swell is building today. I don't know if 8 foot at 8 seconds will yield much in the way of classic surf...but there is sure to be some fun out there somewhere.

0 comments: