Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Owl


W WIND 20 TO 25 KT...BECOMING NW 15 TO 20 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 5 FT. W SWELL 6 FT AT 8 SECONDS...BUILDING TO 12 FT AT 9 SECONDS.
Owl Chapman is back in the spotlight these days...I'll never forget him making screaming runs on the Maalaea freight trains or his frightening collision with a coral head which left him badly injured. The 60's & 70's style master was featured in the recent Surfer's Journal article 'El Hombre Invisible'; which, apparently, he did not feel depicted him in a positive way and filed suit against the magazine and editor. Some say it's a publicity stunt preceding release of a upcoming biography...we'll see.
Owl is also credited with having said "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."
Local Report:
I headed out this morn refusing to check any webcam or report and feeling down for whatever. The entire drive up to ave U was windless. Then I see old glory flappin straight towards me. I checked a couple other indicator spots, which revealed the same. So I went to the obvious last chance and had 1 part ocean says,"No means No," and two parts "Wilbur wouldn't have gone and this rules." I had few good bottom turns to mush or closeout, nude entry and exit as I forgot my towel and nobody of import was around. I don't care what you say it was a good day and worth the twenty in gas and coffee. ~pra

13 comments:

Gazelle said...

Love that 'locals' quote - it's dead-on true in most cases.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I agree as well. That quote is so true. The most hard core and dick head locals at the ***** are just big fish in a very small pond and for the most part are afraid to leave it for fear of being, well just another small fish in a much larger pond.

Slim said...

Owl filed a suit over that article? Hilarious.

unidentified said...

Loved that Owl story in SJ a while back about the guy ordering the gun.
Duncan Campbell says he eats breakfast with him alot.
Dig the bloggy!!!

Anonymous said...

if you know duncan campbell's phone number, please write me CAgirlinAZ@aol.com. I've been trying to reach Owl Chapman. It's a 70's thing in Huntington Beach CA. Thanks for the help anyone can give! I do appreciate. Kathy

Unknown said...

pr.troll. i meet owl when he came to shape some boards there for a friend of mine .gene krunkleton. he was really nice to me ,iwas a runaway troll living the surf dream.he made me push harder and surf bigger waves .to me his a legend and i miss surfing with him that was 1981,82 todays surfers are fluff ,cartoon charectors.go get OWL

Unknown said...

owl was in puerto rico ,its was the wild west back then ,here is some floridian kook wanting to start some shit with owl and i watched him kick that kooks ass down ,go get,em owl he was very well liked when he was there ,p.r.troll over and out

Anonymous said...

none of you trolls said anything about actually riding his boards in huge point surf groomed by tradewinds, which is what owls boards did, you guys are trolls. Quit using a legends name so loosely.

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

Beetlejuice said...

Scroll down to see my '80's "Owl" Awwwoooo
http://nebulouscontinuum.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html

Anonymous said...

OWL is the best shaped in the world
the best SURFER in SUNSET BEACHE and he is a very very nice men funy and intelectual

Anonymous said...

My name is Fernando Farina and the for my OWL is the best shaped in the world and the best SURFER in SUNSET BEACHE he is the real MR SUNSET and he is the very nice and very intelectual men

Anonymous said...

OWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you the best you the real Mr SUNSET and you shaped the best surfboard in the world orever the size orever the fin my name