Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I Wish


NW WIND 5 TO 10 KT...RISING TO 15 TO 20 KT WITH LOCAL GUSTS TO 25 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 4 FT AT 10 SECONDS.
Pulling up to the beach yesterday morning my low hopes were confirmed...it was dismal.
But I headed north to check other spots I was pretty sure would not be working...
But I've been wrong before and one check revealed a handful out on a single peak chasing warbly, chest-high peaks...
Not wanting to crash the party I moved on to another spot I thought might offer more variety and space...
I was somewhat plesantly surprised that after nearly a week of ankle to shin slapping power a weak but bigger period was showing amidst the disorganized tininess...
It was still pretty gutless and backing off on the inside, but a few outside sets provided reasonably lengthy rides and even some sections...
Seemed to be building as the afternoon wore on and I closed out my evening by chasing a bigger closeout that started showing about 7pm as low tide neared...
The first wave was a late drop whose failure was compounded by my front foot getting wrapped up in my leash...
The second wave was better but couldn't quite get around and out of the foam...
The third and final wave walled up and held as I dropped in for a satisfying left all the way to the inside...
All in all, a much better day than I expected.
Local Report:
There were some ankle biter waves, but on a 9' they were tons of fun. Made the drive over in wind and imminent threat of rain / thunder from some nasty looking clouds. Knowing full well the report was calling for tiny waves and wind, but wanted to get out of town anyway. Got past the cascade range to find the coast beautiful, you could have water skied it was so glassy. Were stoked to find it low tide, and had a blast on these super small waves. Just my friend and I and one other person out. ~brisco

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Decent waves for about 1 1/2 hours, head high and zippy.