Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May Day


S WIND RISING TO 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT...BUILDING TO 6 FT. W SWELL 5 FT AT 10 SECONDS...BUILDING TO 7 FT AT 10 SECONDS.

I traversed this entire section of coastline and more over the last 2 days...sadly, I did more driving than surfing since the reason for the drive was work related rather than surf driven. But I did surf a spot I hadn't in almost 10 years...and it was, then as now, empty aside from myself and an alarmingly active amount of sealife. While I can appreciate the majestic beauty of whales, sealions and swarming fish...I can't actually say that it was comforting sitting in the midst of the mix. Rather, after a half dozen decent waves and an inability to keep my head swiveling at each and every ripple around me...I called it a session and headed further south in search of some other rubberized companionship. I found it at a south central jetty, but a stiff wind and handful of individuals struggling in mediocre onshores made reentry into a cold and soaking wetsuit less than appealling.

Heading back north this morning, I found the wind had dropped along with the swell. I checked a few more spots that haven't been surfable most winter and spring due to heavy wind and swell. Unfortunately, the two that looked the best would have required yet another solo session...and one was the site of a not unrecent shark bite. So I opted for a mini session further north with some friends. The waves were pretty mediocre, but in many ways more enjoyable than the day before.

I snapped some pics of the Day one spot...I'll post them once I download them.

Local Reports:
Surfed with Slothie this morning and we were the only 2 out. Most peaks were waist to shoulder with an occasional overhead set. Some were really clean, top to bottom drops with a nice shoulder to work. The best part was, he owed me money and that equates to me calling him off waves and burning him constantly. I burned him so often this morning, he should be called Dr. Singe. ~finger
Small and glassy fun start to the month. Whales and birds around and a busy sealion fishing. Left a member of the medical profession in the water when I got cold and the swell seemed to have turned off. ~gaz
In the water by 7:30am...low tide, fairly clean compared to all the others spots I checked on the way. 8 others on it early, went down the beach 100 yards and had a consistent peak A framing for two hours all to myself. I couldn't believe no one came down as I watched them battling for slop. Used the LB and practiced the cross-stepping untill it started kicking up a little then traded in for the 6'8" single and had some great fast down the line rides. ~deca

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice map!

Been waiting for the right conditions to coincide with a Fri-Sun for making a trip to that part of the coast. Haven't surfed down that way since last Sept. My favorite beachie is in that zone another site of a not so recent shark attack where the guy probably deserved it. This month is free and clear for me as I have no commitments and a grip on my never-ending home improvement. Hope it's a good couple months before it goes flat and the nuclear NW's kick up.