Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Mobile Madness

~photo by stiv

N WIND 5 TO 10 KT...RISING TO 10 TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1 OR 2 FT. SW SWELL 4 FT AT 7 SECONDS. PERIOD INCREASINGTO 9 SECONDS.
The Oregon coast's 21 Century version of the old Stone Steps Invitational...from what I hear, this year's version should be worse than ever!
For those unfamiliar with the SSI...it was a contest that ran in North County San Diego in which contestants had to chug resin buckets of beer before each heat...Butch Van Artsdalen was the winner of the first contest...the contest, which eventually became an enormous beach bash, was discontinued (at least in the chug format) I believe in the early 80's...as things tended to get a bit out of hand late in the day.

7 comments:

pushingtide said...

Read that cool piece about it in a couple TSJ's back. Sounds like some drunken beach fun.

Chum said...

I know couple faces in that motley crew...

Unknown said...

If you can't stand the madness, then your ass needs to get mobile!
Last year's was good times, I'm sure it's only going to be better this year.

twin said...

what a motley crew....

Anonymous said...

Alright now name the OSP'ers from left to right. I wouldenlt know though as I've only meet about 3 of them personaly.

Anonymous said...

the hot one is also FDNY, Minister of Information, I can't get a tan, Ding Delamerton and probably 10 others I can't remember.

koalani said...

A buddy of mine runs the Tecate Switchstance Classic everyyear in Ventura where you shotgun a Tecate before every heat, have to surf switch and costumes and creativity are scored equally with actual surfing. Needless to say it is a blast. I will give you the heads up before this years. Alohas