Friday, July 06, 2007

Freight Trains


NW WIND 15 TO 20 KT...GUSTING TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT. W SWELL 3 FT AT 9 SECONDS. SW SWELL 3 FT AT 15 SECONDS.
This wasn't the wave I surfed yesterday...but it was about that offshore and big and hollow enough to score a couple brief cover ups. The swell clearly has dropped, I would say that yesterday there were some solid 5 to 6 foots sets rolling through with a-frames up and down the cove.
I ran into a couple people I knew heading out who assured me it was even better earlier...and it was pretty damn solid from 2pm to about 4pm. I'm glad I opted to head up north from Newport and passed on a few marginally working spots.
The surf was definitely the best I've caught it probably since February...just overhead, feathering peaks with an easy drop and set up for the inside left wall freight train. The rights were a little fatter and softer, but fun nonetheless.
At least a half dozen of the waves connected through the inside dead spot to reform on the far inside into knee deep water for nice long rides.
Hopefully, those north winds will keep enough of the westerlies out of them for some more offshore fun next week.

1 comments:

Slim said...

I guess I missed it. Paddled out at 4:30ish. Not much over chest coming through and it got all warbled later on. Maybe it was just that i was freezing my ass off.