Sunday, September 23, 2007

Tudor/Surftech


N WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. NW SWELL 10 FT AT 12 SECONDS.
To be perfectly honest, I don't care what other people ride...I guess I don't care how they ride either.
For myself, I prefer traditional polyester surfboards...I don't have an epoxy surfboard, and the few times I've tried one I wasn't too happy with the way it felt...kinda corky and the float was definitely different.
Joel Tudor has always been kind of a crossover retro/progressive surfer in my opinion...he does it all, but his longboard style has always been what was most impressive for me. So it was with some surprise that I heard he's joined the ranks of many other shapers and surfers who have developed their own Surftech surfboard line.
It's his business, and likely what it's all about...business...but seems like a turn in the wrong direction...I'm sure he'll surf them perfectly.

10 comments:

Gaz said...

He's a great surfer to watch and learn from, not so sure he's a shaper, well I guess he could be in the marketing sense of the word, possibly, maybe, somehow.

Gazelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gazelle said...

I've tried a lot of epoxies - a couple hand shaped Patagonias, another by a Santa Barbara shaper whose name escapes me, and 3 of the machine made deals. They've all felt different and the Patagonias were very fast and strong. Along the way I've learned Surftechs are only tough on the outside. They lack any kind of stringer system, which makes them split in two rather easily when they take a hit in the middle. Stupid.

I currently have a stringered Boardworks epoxy in my quiver which I'm pretty happy with - a 9' Walden Magic. I've compared its ride w/ two polyester Magic Models and they weren't so different that it affected the ride, though you're right - they feel a bit different.

All that said, I'm excited about biofoam and other innovations b/c I'd much rather support hand
shapers and greener materials. I just wish a hand shaped board could take the abuse my Walden has received, and still float to tell the tale.

Anonymous said...

You can take the man outta Cali but nor Cali outta the man...

He had ghost shapers doing his boards, basically Takayama shapes.
Each his own but fuck Surf Tech.

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to surf in Oregon without blabbing about it?

Anonymous said...

I've tried many of the Surftech boards and have become disallusioned with them. They're not as tough as they make out. Their wood veneered models are better, especially the 'classic glass' as the added weight allows them to noseride better. The Tuflite ones lack momentum and die under your feet. They're much easier to handle though, more fun to carry down at low tide, and you can really get radical on them.
Each to their own I guess.

Anonymous said...

"Is it possible to surf in Oregon without blabbing about it?"

Not really, our ego's force us to blather on and on about how good it is here, you should come and get some.
Kiwanda is really on this time of year, tell'em Gazza sent ya.

Anonymous said...

i'm bringing over 17,000 of my closest buddies. Now, im selling t shirts too! Surf Oregon trucker hats anyone?

Wave Farmer said...

Hmmmm...trucker hats?
There's a thought...
Ironic or straight up?

Anonymous said...

"i'm bringing over 17,000 of my closest buddies. Now, im selling t shirts too! Surf Oregon trucker hats anyone?"

Your best market is Portland, start there and follow the crowds to where ever it is they go...