Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Roping




E WIND 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING S 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 FOOT...BUILDING TO 3 FT IN THE AFTERNOON. W SWELL 8 FT AT 11 SECONDS.

It's roping right now...I just know it.
Unfortunately, the days of drop everything are long gone.

Speaking of dropping everything...
I dreamt last night about the fires in San Diego.
They weren't the fires of present day for me.
But the fires of my childhood in Leucadia in 1970.
I grew up there and often stayed at a ranch in Olivenhain.
As far as I recall, it was a similar, if not as massive, circumstance.
Wildfires whipped to a frenzy by Santa Ana winds.
I got picked up in Leucadia and headed to the ranch.
Utter terror and fear as we headed towards the fire, not away.
Arguments with police about entering the fire zone were won.
We released all the horses from their corrals, just let them go.
And then tried to find our way out, finding the way blocked once or twice.
When I got home to Leucadia, my parents assured me we were safe.
That the fire couldn't jump Interstate 5, I was unconvinced.
I had nightmares and episodes of sleepwalking for months.
My dad would find me in the hall gathering imaginary items.
He'd ask me what I was doing and I would answer in my sleep.
"The fire's coming...I have to get my stuff."

The fires in California and here in Oregon are cyclical.
They're an aspect of a natural process we've controlled and repressed.
Sometimes resulting in catatrophic major flare ups.
This doesn't matter to the people in harm's way though.
Our family ranch in Descanso, east of San Diego almost burned 4 years ago.
And another 200 acres went up in Descanso yesterday.
The map below shows the extent of the fires...Malibu to the Border.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aint roping but its good, clean lines, no wind and 78 on the beach. Heading back for some more.
Living in Topanga Canyon, fire was always a fear this time of year.
At least the 'bu and others are empty for the locals...

Anonymous said...

Yes! Yes! Yes!

nice map!

dub-

Anonymous said...

Wait, wait, wait....there's surf in California?

Unknown said...

Sounds good to me! 78, no winds, wish i was there