Sunday, March 30, 2008

Surf Temple


NW WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. NW SWELL 5 FT AT 8 SECONDS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND SLIGHT CHANCE OF TSTMS BEFORE DARK...THEN SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE EVENING.
Got to the coast Wednesday just as snow was starting to fall just about everywhere. The next 5 days were a mix of dark clouds, driving rain, sleet, hail, snow, freezing rain (maybe that's sleet?), and lotsa wind...and an occassional patch of blue sky or ray of sunshine quickly obliterated by one or more of the previously mentioned meteorological phenomena.
In between utterly pointless surf checks, drinking, hiking the cape, taking long walks, getting drenched, surf fishing and drinking...I worked on this "Surf Temple". I had seen something similar down the beach and built my own, I finished the Buddha later, but never got back to take a pic. I came down the next day to fid a couple people adding their own sculpture next to mine...a mermaid and another cliff structure. On the drive home my daughter told me it was gone...the high tide took it out last night.
Anyhow, the lotsa wind part pretty much did in the waves the first 4 days...there were a few coming through Saturday afternoon, but nothing that warranted paddling out in my estimation. I left the house at 7am hoping against hope since the sky was dark and ominous, and it was snowing pretty hard. The wind was thankfully absent and so I wnet down to check it. The surf was pretty small, but it was finally surfable. I paddled out and finally got wet. Chest high sets that actually were pretty fun. I even got thumped trying to take off late, backside, on a 10' 6" with a 9" flex fin...death or glory.

4 comments:

Gaz said...

Mebbe it'll bring surf this week......?

Anonymous said...

sheesh man, why not get a snowboard of this time of year?

Wave Farmer said...

If I worked between Bend & Portland instead of Seaside & Portland...I might get a snowboard, but probably not.

David J. Hirsh said...

I like the surf temple. Reminds of the giant ancient buddhist artifacts the retard taliban so mindlessly blew up a few years ago.

David, Seattle