Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Wishful


NE WIND 5 TO 10 KT.
WIND WAVES 1 FOOT.
W SWELL 9 FT AT14 SECONDS.
Stuck again in the valley...supposed to surf Tuesday...supposed to surf tomorrow...snow everywhere...maybe Friday...I doubt it'll look like the pic...but I'm hoping.
One report below kinda sums up Surf in Oregon...surf, climb, ski, fish, hunt...what have you...still, cold...fickle...sharky...in the water at least.
Local Reports:

...surfed almost perfect lefts up North on Friday, then some nearly double overhead rights the next day at a spot nearby, then drove down to Smith Rock and was climbing in the sunshine on Sunday and Monday, and then got a snow day today [Tuesday] and sat around the fire drinking filth...

~bison

Decided on a more southern route then normal yesterday, as I feared the icy roads and wanted to explore that which I have yet explored. Was greeted by strong offshores and some clean, reeling rights and frigid wind. Continued to explore south. Found a protected stretch whose glass was pristine, though the waves were mostly closing out. Continued further south and found the offshores again. Turned back and returned to the glass. Shoulders had appeared with the drop in tide and I watched in awe of a three wave, OH set that peeled as if off a left point. Oh my. Watched a gun-toting lone ranger wade out to the white water and practice his belly slides. I suited up and caught a few delicious waves that fertilized my recently barren-of-waves soul and returned before I could be bitten, frozen or drowned for lack of targets, warmth or recent conditioning.

~fojo

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are saying more snow? Trying to plan my weekly surf as well, but with these road conditions a day mission is quite the ordeal as if it's not when the roads are dry. May have to make another 3 day weekend? Forecast looks OK, not great. No need to look around really as I know where I'll go. Wind switching to a more westerly influence though? This snow is not motivating me to surf. I prefer my snow in the mtns.