Friday, February 23, 2007

Niceness


W WIND 15 TO 20 KT...BACKING TO SW.
GUSTS TO 25 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT.
W SWELL 12 FT AT 13 SECONDS.

After a lengthy hiatus, the OB surf blog "Niceness" is back on line. The blogger E indicated that the bad vibes from certain individuals was the reason for his discontinuing the report.

I was thinking about this last night...clearly, the internet, with its forecasts, webcams, e-zines, message boards and blogs, is here to stay. The vocal minority that resents the presentation of this information won't stop it with cyber threats. Just to be clear, I don't necessarily appreciate or approve of individuals providing detailed, specific information on spots that it took years to get wired. I also have seen the increase of people in the water over the past decades. However, I have seen this increase over more than just the past 10 years...it's just that it has accelerated. I'm sure the internet has added fuel to the fire...but no more than the proliferation of surf mags, media exposure and the mainstreaming of surf culture in Midwest malls.

In any case, on any day of the year that there is surf in Oregon, I can choose to paddle out at a spot that is empty or I can opt for more crowded, popular breaks...and complain about the crowds of newcomers if I wish.

2 comments:

Gaz said...

Good observations, Doc. It's been something that I've thought about at some length too.My favorite sessions this past year have managed to pass under the radar of the "Next Great Swell" forecast....

Patch said...

The 'inbetween' swell days are always the best...