Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Place of God

SW WIND 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING W 5 TO 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 5 FT AT 8 SECONDS.

Surfed out on Monday...
After 4 micro sessions in 2 days...
Opted for a short walk...
Overlooking Neahkahnie Cliffs...
The painting above is by...
Cannon beach surfer & artist...
Jeffrey Hull...
(or is that artist & surfer?)...
Either way the location is a special one...
From his website:
The Tillamook Indians referred to Neahkahnie Mountain on the northern Oregon coast as "Place of God". While exploring this section of Oswald West State Park, it's easy to appreciate why they so revered this special place. I have my favorite spots to paint on "the mountain" where inspiration comes easily. This location will be familiar too most of you. Simply look toward the Pacific as you drive by on Highway 101 just south of Short Sands Beach.
If you're in Cannon Beach...
Swing by his gallery...
And buy the biggest painting you can find...
Surf themed, of course!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to get in shape Doc.

doc said...

Bet I could outpaddle you Anon...
And it was mostly my sun & windburnt face that made me surfed out...
That and my left nut was hurting from an inadvertent rail to the groin...
After a careless cross step episode...
Better now...
Surf tomorrow maybe.

Hull said...

Hey Doc, I have long said being a surfer is like being Italian. It is just who you are. You can move to the center of the country but you are still a surfer. So I can paint pretty pictures and be known as a artist, but to my dying day I will see myself as a surfer. Once again thanks for including my art in your blog. H