Friday, April 03, 2009

"Present"ed


NW WIND 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS TO 30 KT. COMBINED SEAS 17 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 11 SECONDS.
I wanted to like it...
But think that overall the flotsam distracted from the point...
I don't want to harp on what I see as the negatives...
I think Dan Malloy is a skilled surfer...
As a narrator, a bit of a wipe out...
The inflection should at least approach...
The variation of the surf itself...
Alex Knost in all of his hipster charm...
I can appreciate what he does on a surfboard...
He's unquestionably got a unique style...
But the rockstar/artist persona...
Better left on the cutting room floor...
The comedy skit? Yawn...
I guess if those are the main faults I find...
Then I can't really complain...
More Michel Junod, less AK...
The clip of Junod crosstepping...
Was perhaps the best 8 seconds of the film...
And his LB mastery should have got more time...
But he doesn't do spins, backward takeoffs...
And other trick maneuvers so no...
I thought Joel Tudor's take...
Could be the basis for a film in it's own right...
Alaia surfing is pretty cool...
But seemed to take over the film...
Dave Rastovich, Dane Reynolds & the rest...
Some good footage to be sure...
But for me the overall effect was subpar...
Not a bad film...
But the Present just didn't seem capture...
What it was professed to be seeking.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think after the first few reviews came out, everyone was just looking too hard for faults, now no one wants to claim it is good on their blog. I didn't think it was super, but I liked it, and at the very first screening in Leucadia, everyone was pretty stoked. Then the microscope took over.

You do make a good point about the alaia though...

Maybe TC will learn not to rush the next project, expectations were very high.

Anonymous said...

To much media hype behind it from Surfline to TSJ. Thought it was supposed to be more of a grassroots effort. Good idea, bad execution.

slim said...

"Maybe TC will learn not to rush the next project"

Didn't it take the guy 5 years?!?

doc said...

I actually went in pretty open to wanting it to be good and there were definitely moments...

I was pretty tired tho...

And I am jaded and bitter.

So maybe it was solid.

Anonymous said...

I think it says something that the bar has been set so high these days, and people are looking at this as a real film... ten years ago surf films were mostly (with a few notable exceptions) shot with low quality video, from the same on-the-beach perspective and set to crappy music. (although I guess you can still find plenty of that on You Tube...)
Sprout is one of my favorites and I dug this one, too. I had a good time watching it in the theater - pretty fun hearing the shout outs from the crowd.
-Alex

Anonymous said...

Doc thanks for the great weed!