Thursday, April 25, 2013

Persevere


N WIND 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 3 FT. NW SWELL 3 FT AT 8 SECONDS.

After a deep, deep Central Willamette Valley mode morning meeting on Tuesday I scrambled for the Central Oregon Coast in hopes of finding some sunshine to go along with the forecast 3 foot swell. I wasn't overly optimistic due to the 25 knot gusts, the 5 foot wind swell and the 3 foot swell that had dropped to 1 foot.

Then my low hopes were dashed upon arrival at Newport as I sighted the whitecaps frothing on the horizon. Cursory checks of north wind protected headlands up the coast yielded sub-miniature dribblers that offered little chance of propulsion despite proper preparation of bringing a 10' 6" single fin log.

Spot after spot checked with windswept bays and beach breaks continued to crush spirits as darkened coastal taverns beckoned and looked increasingly tempting. At Tillamook, I bagged and headed east on Highway 6 resigned to my valley fate. As the dairy farm stench wisped about me I rebelled...hung an illegal u-turn and resumed my northward trek up Highway 1.

At the last ditch spot I pondered just hiking in with survival supplies [beer] and hydrating in the sun. But, being sensible, I lugged the heavy longboard down the trail knowing failure to do so meant surrender on my part and I could not stomach it.

Upon arrival on the sand, I was greeted by an empty lineup...empty of surfers and empty of waves. After a few moments, as I battled the steady wind to trudge forward, I saw a mysto peak break about 20 feet from shore in about 10 inches of water...solid shin to knee high and perfect.

Making it to 3rd creek I deposited my Kings of Beer in the frigid waters and watched the north end. Sure enough, a peak showed and a right reeled off in deeper water that looked small but surfable. I suited up and paddled out. The waves were tiny but perfect little offshore peelers with a fun little noseride section.

After about an hour and a half of fun in the sun and surf by my lonesome, the switch was thrown and the little peaks turned off. I paddled south in hopes that a new wave would materialize but no such luck. Once I entered the wind tunnel unprotected 2nd creek area, I opted to head in and consume my beers on the beach.

All in all, coulda been better but it was almost much, much worse.

7 comments:

turtle said...

just goes to show,,,gotta go to know.

expect the worst and you might be pleasantly surprised.

karmic voyager said...

oh i love it! i've been so homesick for oregon... miss those little shin high empty peaks, and finding you out there surfing with a smile on your face... thanks for reminding me about a super happy period of life in the NW. hope to see you again there someday when i migrate north again.

Gilberto said...

sounds like a nice end to a long day.

David Root said...


Call Outlook Contact Support Help Number USA 1-818-492 -9002. We fix all Microsoft Outlook issue like forget password, sign, login, recovery email, configuration mail etc. dial Outlook Customer Service Number USA today.
Visit: Outlook Customer Service Number USA


David Root said...

Contact icloud email customer support number usa +1-805-4382911. Apple teams will fix icloud mail login, sign in, forget password recovery, iphone, android etc.

Apple iCloud Email Support Help Number USA

iCloud Email Customer Service Number

Icloud Email Lgoin issue Fix

iCloud Email Forget Password issue resolve


Icloud Email Technical Support Number

David Root said...

We Offer ATT BellSouth Email Support Contact Help Number +1-805438-2911 for fix BellSouth Emails, Server like Login, Sign in, Password Recovery, Forget Password etc. contact
BellSouth.net Email Help Number

BellSouth.net Email Contact Number

David Root said...

We Provide SBCglobal Email Customer Support Number +1-805-438-2911 for fix att sbcglobal.net login, email errors like email login, setting, forget password recovery, yahoo, outlook setup, att, iphone, mac etc.
SBCglobal Email Contact Number
SBCglobal Email Contact Number